Classic Beef Chili
Prep & Cook Time 30 minutes
- tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1½ tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 pounds ground round (85% lean)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 14-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can chili beans
- 1 14-ounce can kidney beans, drained
Shredded cheese, Kemps sour cream or Kemps Mexican sour cream, oyster or saltine crackers, and thinly sliced green onions.
- Heat a large cast-iron Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the oil, followed by onion and bell pepper. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of the kosher salt, stir to coat and cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomato paste, stirring to combine. Add ground round, remaining kosher salt, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and cumin. Stir well to combine. Cook until beef is browned, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add both cans of tomatoes and chili beans. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in kidney beans. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, oyster or saltine crackers, and thinly sliced green onions.