Individual Baked Alaska Desserts
- 6 Tbsp strawberry preserves
- 6 scoops Kemps vanilla ice cream, about 1 1/2 pints
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Blueberry Sauce, below
- Set cakes on a large baking sheet. Spoon 1 tablespoon of strawberry preserves into each cake. Top cakes with a small scoop of ice cream. Top each scoop of ice cream with a little blueberry sauce. Set in freezer, pan and all.
- Beat egg whites until foamy; gradually beat in sugar and salt, beating until stiff peaks form. Working quickly, cover each dessert completely with meringue. Be sure there are not gaps or air spaces. Return to freezer.
- Before serving, preheat oven to 425 F. Place baking sheet with cakes on it in the oven and bake for about 6 to 8 minutes, or until meringue is lightly browned. Serve with more blueberry sauce, if desired.
Fresh Blueberry Sauce:
- 2 cups fresh blueberries 1/3 cup sugar 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice 1/4 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Wash and crush blueberries; add sugar, lemon juice and salt. Mix well. In a small saucepan, bring blueberry mixture to a boil; boil 1 minute. Add vanilla. Chill. Serve over puddings, cake, or ice cream.
Makes 6 individual dessert sponge cakes