Spicy Sour Cream Bean Dip
- 1 9-inch round country style bread
- 12-ounces Kemps Low Fat Sour Cream
- 1 or 2 jalapeno peppers, minced
- 2 Tbsp cilantro, chipped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin seed
- 2 16-ounce cans dark kidney beans
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Cut off the top quarter of the loaf of bread and remove most of the soft insides; leaving a half-inch shell. Use the top and insides for stuffing or bread crumbs later on. Set loaf aside.
For the Spicy Cream
- Place sour cream in medium bowl and fold in jalapeno peppers, cilantro, and red bell pepper. Set aside.
For the Bean Dip
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil.
- Saute onions until lightly browned. Add cumin. Stir and set aside.
- Rinse the beans under cold water.
- Drain well. Set aside.
- Place garlic in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Mince.
- Add the beans, onions, salt and pepper. Process until pureed.
- Combine bean mixture with spicy cream, mixture.
- Pour into bread.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with fresh vegetables, pita bread or low fat snack chips.
Per serving: 191 calories; 6 grams fat; 477 milligrams sodium; 113 milligrams calcium.