Fried Buttermilk Dill Pickle Bites with Herby Ranch
quart vegetable oil
16-ounce jar sliced dill pickles, drained
½ cup flour
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons hot sauce
1 cup buttermilk
½ cup sour cream
½ cup buttermilk
¼ cup chopped parsley
¼ cup chives
¼ cup dill
salt and pepper
1. Add oil to a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium-high heat.
2. Line a baking sheet with paper towels and top with pickles. Add another layer of paper towels over the top and blot to dry completely. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Whisk in hot sauce and buttermilk until combined and smooth.
4. Coat pickles, in batches, in the batter.
5. When oil reaches 350 F, add in roughly a quarter of the battered pickles using a slotted, metal spoon. Fry until golden, about 3 minutes.
6. Remove from oil and let drain on a plate lined with paper towels.
7. Batter and fry in small batches, being sure not to overcrowd, until all pickles are cooked.
8. Make dip by combining ½ cup of sour cream and ½ cup of buttermilk, and a ¼ cup each of chopped parsley, chives and dill. Season to taste with salt and pepper.