Classic Beef Chili
Prep & Cook Time 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1½ tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 pounds ground round (85% lean)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 14-ounce can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can chili beans
- 1 14-ounce can kidney beans, drained
Shredded cheese, Kemps sour cream, oyster or saltine crackers, and thinly sliced green onions.
- Heat a large cast-iron Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the oil, followed by onion and bell pepper. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon of the kosher salt, stir to coat and cook until vegetables begin to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add tomato paste, stirring to combine.
- Add ground round, remaining kosher salt, chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder and cumin. Stir well to combine.
Cook until beef is browned, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add both cans of tomatoes and chili beans. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in kidney beans. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Serve with shredded cheese, sour cream, oyster or saltine crackers, and thinly sliced green onions.