- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cartons (8 cups) low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup Kemps Heavy Whipping Cream
- Heat oven to 400 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, toss together olive oil, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, squash, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Divide veggie mixture onto the prepared baking sheets and roast in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, turning once halfway through.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10–15 minutes.
- Once veggies have cooled slightly, transfer one-third into a blender with one-third of the chicken broth. Purée until smooth and then pulse in one-third of the heavy cream. Pour into a heavy-bottomed pot over low heat, stirring often. Repeat with the remaining veggies, broth and cream.
Note: Depending on your blender size, this may take more than three rounds.
When ready to serve, ladle from the pot on the stove and drizzle in an extra splash of cream.
Recipe courtesy of Half & Half magazine, a food magazine celebrating dairy and those who make it. Learn more and subscribe at halfandhalfmag.com.